Tuesday, November 4, 2014

SILENT NIGHT by Patti Sylvia

Halloween’s over, time to put the Jack O’ Lanterns away…there’s a crisp breeze in the air and I can’t think of anything better than pouring a hot cup of coffee and pulling up the my craft desk to make some Christmas cards.  So in the spirit of the season, I present to you SILENT NIGHT.
I used this beautiful stamp by Stampendous that can be found here at Scrapadabadoo  http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_7643/Stampendous-Silent-Night-Stamp.htm
 
001
I started with cutting the card base to 4.25 x 11”, then scoring on the 11” side at 5.5” to create a horizontal card.  I used Paper Accents, smooth white, 100lb cardstock in the 8.5 x 11 http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_4183/Smoothe-White-100-lb-8.5-x-11.htm  I really like this paper for card making.  The size is perfect as you can get 2 card bases out of one sheet of paper and the weight is perfect because it’s very sturdy to support whatever you decide to put on the front of the card. 
 
I then stamped using the Silent Night stamp http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_7643/Stampendous-Silent-Night-Stamp.htm in Ranger Archival ink in black
http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_2447/Ranger-Archival-Ink-Pad-Black.htm.  I like this ink because it creates a beautiful, crisp image and it’s waterproof which is important when you plan to use Distress Ink over it.  The Distress inks are a water based product and if the image was stamped with a non-waterproof ink then the beautiful image would smear and we don’t want that now do we.
 
Next, it was time to add some color over the image.  For that I chose Stormy Sky as the base color being sure to be light handed over the verse.  Next I blended some Faded Jeans Distress Ink being  extremely light handed around the verse.  The next color I added very lightly is Dusty Concord just around the edges being sure to blend well, then finally a very light tapping of Black Soot.   I have linked all of the colors below.
 
004
Next it’s time to add the snowy effect which not only adds to the theme, but also helps to brighten up the colors.  First step is to be sure the Distress inks are dry then I randomly sprinkled some white embossing powder over the card being sure not to get any over the verse. Now here’s what makes this embossing a little different…I did not use any watermarking ink you cannot heat set this from above, you have to heat set it from underneath so you don’t blow the embossing powder off the page.  You can add as much or as little as you want.
 
I then wanted to double mat my stamped image so I cut the image down to 4.75 x 3.75”.  I mounted it to a piece of black cardstock cut to 4 7/8’s x 3 7/8’s.  I then added foam tape http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_7167/Scotch-Foam-Tape-.50x150.htm to the back and mounted it to a piece of silver glittered paper cut to 5 3/8’s x 4 1/8 to give the final piece a festive yet elegant feel http://www.scrapadabadoo.com/item_7499/DCWV-6x6-Glitzy-Glitter-Pad.htm
 
This card came together very quickly which makes it great for mass production.
 
Thank you very much for looking ~Patti~

No comments:

Post a Comment